Friday, October 20, 2023

EOTO 2 Reaction: The Illusory Truth Effect

 The Illusory Truth Effect was one of the most interesting topics I learned about throughout our second group presentation project. This effect occurs when the repetition of certain information causes the brain to interpret it as more truthful, even if that information is false. The more times that a concept is repeated, it seems to seem increasingly truthful. The presentation gave us great examples of how this occurred within topics we’ve experienced, like when Donald Trump continuously stated that the Middle East was preparing deadly weapons. 

One of the reasons I found this concept so interesting is that repeating information, especially in media or politics, can be used as a form of rhetoric. Repeating points within speeches is a strategy that people find effective, making that speech more compelling and memorable. As I learned more about this concept, I began to question whether repetition as a rhetorical device was actually strong enough to make people believe those points, which is strongly related to the Illusory Truth effect. I wonder if the same things that make repetition so strong in public speaking and messaging are the same factors that make information so believable throughout instances of the Illusory Truth Effect. If I had to guess, I’d say they’re extremely comparable. 


However, I think it is critical to remember that just because someone is ingesting the same message from a source many times, it doesn’t mean that the information is truthful. Because repetition puts such strong emphasis on points of a speech or claims made in the media, some people might be automatically inclined to believe them. Investopedia adds that repetition also strengthens pathways in the brain to access certain information that people have heard many times, and people begin to associate familiarity with truthfulness. Ultimately, the Illusory Truth Effect would be beneficial for everyone to be aware of to make sure that they continue learning about topics that they may feel comfortable with.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post: Relationship with Technology

       I think my relationship with technology is relatively healthy, aside from the amount of time I spend on a screen. I can admit that oc...